Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pascha Bread

Well, this is going to be a really picture heavy post. I made my Pascha bread yesterday. It was the first time I have ever done it and I am really pleased with how they turned out. Well, I should say I am pleased with how they look because we can't taste them until tomorrow. I must say it has been a tremendous sacrifice looking at and smelling these beautiful loaves of bread and not being able to taste them. I loved making this bread. It was really fun making the braids. I plan to make more in the next couple of days to give out to friends, so I am hoping to learn from my first experience. The one main thing I want to do differently is to put the braids around the top of the 2 loaves with the crosses instead of putting the braids along the sides. I still think they look nice, but the braid is supposed to resemble the crown of thorns and I think that is a little lost on my breads.

Anyway, here are the beginning shots, right before they went in the oven. This first one was a long braid that I made into a spiral. I am pretty happy with it, but next time I will make the strands thinner so that the spiral is longer.

This one is just a ball of dough with a braided cross. I think it looks cool.

These next 2 are just round loaves with the braid around the loaf and the eastern three bar cross.


And here they are right out of the oven. My bread looks a little different than the traditional Pascha bread because I used whole wheat flour instead of white.





Today I will be making some desserts to take to Easter dinner tomorrow at my in-laws. In addition, Therese and I will be making these cookies, whose recipe I got from an online friend:

Easter Story Cookies Recipe
To be made the evening before Easter
You need:
1 cup whole pecans
1 tsp. vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch salt
1 cup sugar
zipper baggie
wooden spoon
tape
Bible

Preheat oven to 300°F (this is important-don't wait til you're half
done with the recipe!)
Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the
wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was
arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3.

Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl.
Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar
to drink. Read John 19:28-30.

Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave
His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11.

Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and
brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty
tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read
Luke 23:27.

So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1cup sugar.
Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because
He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Ps. 34:8 and
John 3:16.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks
are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's
eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isa. 1:18
and John 3:1-3.

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie
sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus'
body was laid. Read Matt. 27:57-60.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF.
Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that
Jesus' tomb was sealed. Read Matt. 27:65-66.

GO TO BED! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the
oven overnight. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was
sealed. Read John 16:20 and 22.

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the
cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first
Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
Read Matt. 28:1-9

I will post some pictures of the making of the cookies and of the finished product.

Most importantly, today I will be getting to Confession and then tonight we will go to vespers, Divine Liturgy and Resurrection Matins. I think that Therese will really enjoy Matins if she isn't too tired once they get started.

1 comment:

momtomany12 said...

Very nice looking breads!!